So there are three things in life that are very, very expensive.
所以生活中有三样东西是非常非常昂贵的。
Maybe you need to buy a car.
也许你需要买一辆车。
Maybe you need to buy a house, or maybe you want to go to school and get an education.
也许你需要买房,或者也许你想上学接受教育。
In this English lesson, I'll talk about those three big purchases, and I'll teach you all the English words and phrases that you'll need to know to be able to talk about them.
在这节英语课中,我将讨论这三次大宗采购,并教你谈论它们所需知道的所有英语单词和短语。
Let's start by talking about buying a car.
我们先从买车开始说吧。
You can buy a car privately from a relative or a friend, but you can also buy a car from a car dealership.
您可以从亲戚或朋友私下购买汽车,也可以从汽车经销商处购买汽车。
This is a very common way to buy a car in Canada.
这是在加拿大购买汽车非常常见的方式。
Behind me you can see there is a car dealership.
您可以看到我身后有一家汽车经销店。
We might also call this a car lot.
我们或许也可以将其称为停车场。
You would come to the car dealership or car lot in order to see all of the different cars that are for sale.
您可以前往汽车经销店或汽车销售场来查看所有待售的不同汽车。
And you might even talk to a salesperson because you might be interested in taking one of the cars for a test drive.
您甚至可能会与销售人员交谈,因为您可能有兴趣试驾其中一辆汽车。
So if you want to buy a car, you might come to a car lot, also called a car dealership, talk to a salesperson and maybe go for a test drive.
因此,如果您想买车,您可以去汽车销售场(也称为汽车经销店),与销售人员交谈,甚至可以进行试驾。
So there are two kinds of cars you can buy when you're looking for a car.
因此,当您寻找汽车时,有两种汽车可以购买。
You can buy a new car.
你可以买一辆新车。
This is a car that no one else has ever owned before.
这是一辆以前从未有人拥有过的汽车。
It's a car that might be somewhere, like at this dealership.
这辆车可能在某个地方,比如这家经销店。
It was made in the factory and came straight here, and it has hardly any kilometers on it.
它是在工厂里制造并直接运到这里,几乎没有行驶过任何里程。
So if you want a new car, you would come to a car dealership like this one and buy a new car.
所以如果你想要一辆新车,你可以来像这样的汽车经销店买一辆新车。
Sometimes you just don't have enough money to buy a brand new car.
有时您只是没有足够的钱来购买一辆新车。
And in that situation, you can buy a used car.
在这种情况下,您可以购买二手车。
We sometimes also call this a pre-owned car.
我们有时也将其称为二手车。
This is a car that someone else used to own.
这是别人曾经拥有的汽车。
And they decided at some point in time that they didn't want it anymore, and so they sold it to the dealership.
后来他们在某个时候决定不再需要它了,所以就把它卖给了经销商。
So if you have lots of money or if you can get a big enough loan, you can buy a brand new car.
因此,如果您有很多钱或者可以获得足够多的贷款,您就可以购买一辆全新的汽车。
But if you don't, you can always come to a used car lot and you can find a used car that will work just right for you.
但如果没有的话,您可以随时来到二手车行,找到一辆适合您的二手车。
Now, when you go to buy a car, you might not have enough money.
现在,当你去买车时,你可能没有足够的钱。
In that situation, what you might need to do is you might need to get a car loan.
在这种情况下,您可能需要做的是申请汽车贷款。
A car loan is when the bank or even the car dealership will lend you money so that you can buy the car and then you need to pay them back.
汽车贷款是指银行或汽车经销商借给您钱,以便您购买汽车,然后您需要偿还贷款。
So maybe you have enough money, maybe you have enough money to buy a brand new car.
所以也许你有足够的钱,也许你有足够的钱去买一辆全新的汽车。
But maybe you don't.
但也许你不知道。
In that situation you're going to need a car loan and you're going to need to get it from the car dealership or from the bank.
在这种情况下,您将需要汽车贷款,并且需要从汽车经销商或银行获得贷款。
Now maybe you have a car and it's still in really good shape, but you want to buy a new car, you can always trade in your car.
现在也许你有一辆汽车,而且它的状况仍然很好,但你想买一辆新车,你可以随时用你的汽车进行折价。
When you trade in a car, it means you go to the dealership and they give you a certain amount of money for your car and then you can use that money to help pay for the new car that you want to buy.
当您以旧换新汽车时,这意味着您去经销商处,他们会为您的汽车提供一定数额的钱,然后您可以使用这笔钱来支付您想要购买的新车。
So if you have an older car and it has really low kilometers and it's still in really good shape, you might consider trading it in to help pay for the new car.
因此,如果您有一辆旧车,行驶里程数很低且状况良好,您可以考虑将其以旧换新,以支付新车的费用。
So cars are expensive.
所以汽车很贵。
But you know what's more expensive?
但你知道什么更贵吗?
A house.
一栋房子。
A house is a very expensive thing to buy.
房子是非常昂贵的东西。
If you wanted to buy a house though, this is how you would start.
如果您想买房,就可以这样开始。
You might just look online.
您可能只是在网上查看。
There are websites that show you what houses are for sale in different areas.
有些网站可以向你显示不同地区有哪些房屋在出售。
Or you might just drive around and look for a house with a for sale sign.
或者你也可以开车四处寻找挂有待售标志的房子。
When someone is selling their house, we say it is for sale and the sign that goes up in front we call a for sale sign.
当有人出售房屋时,我们说房屋正在出售,并且挂在房子前面的标志我们称之为待售标志。
So this house behind me is for sale.
所以我后面的这栋房子正在出售。
I'm not sure if it's going to sell quick though.
但我不确定它是否会很快卖出去。
The market is a little slow right now in Canada.
目前加拿大的市场有点不景气。
Houses are not selling very quickly.
房子卖得不太快。
So the name of a person that helps you sell a house or buy a house in Canada is called a realtor.
因此,在加拿大帮助您出售房屋或购买房屋的人被称为房地产经纪人。
When you look at a for sale sign, you can see the name of the realtor.
当您看到待售标志时,您可以看到房地产经纪人的名字。
This is the person that is helping the people who own this house to sell this house.
这是帮助这所房子的房主出售这所房子的人。
So if you want to sell a house, you call a realtor and they help you by putting a for sale sign up and they do what are called viewings.
因此,如果您想出售房屋,您可以打电话给房地产经纪人,他们会帮助您挂出待售标志,并进行所谓的查看。
People can come to this house and see the inside of it.
人们可以来到这座房子并参观其内部。
Similar to test driving a car, you certainly want to see a house before you buy it.
与试驾汽车类似,您当然希望在购买房子之前先看看房子。
So if you want to buy a house or sell a house, you call a realtor.
因此,如果您想买房或卖房,您可以打电话给房地产经纪人。
If you want to see inside a house, you ask for a viewing.
如果您想参观房屋内部,您可以要求参观。
Or sometimes they have what's called an open house.
或者有时他们会举办所谓的开放日活动。
An open house happens usually on a weekend and it's a day when the house is just open for 2 hours and the realtor will be there for those 2 hours and anyone who comes can come inside and see the house.
开放日通常在周末举行,当天房屋仅开放 2 个小时,房地产经纪人会在这 2 小时内待在那里,任何人都可以进来参观房子。
So you might be wondering how much does a house cost in Canada?
那么您可能想知道加拿大的房价是多少钱?
Well, where I live in my area, you would need about $500,000 to buy a house, and that would be a cheap house.
嗯,在我居住的地区,大约需要 50 万美元才能买一套房子,而且还是一套便宜的房子。
If you wanted a really nice house, you would probably have to spend $700,000 or $800,000 or maybe if you were in Toronto, even over a million dollars to buy a house.
如果您想要一套真正漂亮的房子,您可能得花 70 万或 80 万美元,或者如果您在多伦多,甚至得花一百多万美元才能买房子。
So most people don't have enough money when they decide they want to buy a house.
因此,大多数人在决定买房时没有足够的钱。
And so what they'll do is they'll go to a bank to get a mortgage.
所以他们会去银行申请抵押贷款。
A mortgage is a special kind of loan.
抵押贷款是一种特殊的贷款。
It's a really long loan.
这是一笔非常长期的贷款。
You can take 20 or 25 or 30 years to pay off the loan.
您可能需要20年、25年或30年的时间来还清贷款。
And it's a loan designed specifically for buying a house.
这是专门为买房而设计的贷款。
So if you don't have enough money, like most people, you might need to go to the bank to see if you qualify for a mortgage.
因此,如果您没有足够的钱,像大多数人一样,您可能需要去银行看看您是否有资格获得抵押贷款。
In order to qualify, you'll have to have some money in the bank, and you'll have to have a steady job, at least for the last year or two.
为了符合资格,你必须在银行有一些钱,并且你必须有一份稳定的工作,至少在过去一两年内。
And then the bank will decide whether they will give you a mortgage.
然后银行会决定是否给你抵押贷款。
So I just want to talk a little bit about the difference between lend and borrow.
所以我只想稍微谈一下借入和借入之间的区别。
In the situation of getting a mortgage, the bank will lend you money and you will borrow money from the bank.
在获得抵押贷款的情况下,银行会借钱给你,你也会向银行借钱。
So do you see the difference?
你看出了区别吗?
The bank is the lender.
银行是贷款人。
The bank will give you money.
银行会给你钱。
The bank will lend you money.
银行会借钱给你。
You are then the borrower.
那么你就是借款人。
You will take money from the bank, you will borrow money from the bank, and then, of course, you do have to pay it back.
你会从银行取钱,你会从银行借钱,然后,当然,你必须偿还。
Another really expensive thing in life is a university education.
生活中另一件真正昂贵的事情是大学教育。
If you go to university here in Canada, it costs between $20,000 and $40,000 a year.
如果你在加拿大上大学,每年的学费在 20,000 到 40,000 美元之间。
And you might have to stay for four or six years or more in order to get your degree.
你可能必须呆四年、六年甚至更长时间才能获得学位。
Now, when we talk about the cost of a university education, there are three things that you're actually paying for.
现在,当我们谈论大学教育的费用时,实际上要支付三项费用。
You're paying tuition.
你正在交学费。
This is the cost for thees that you take.
这是您所参加的课程的费用。
You are paying for housing.
您正在支付住房费用。
This is if you live on campus in something called a residence, and you pay to live there.
这就是如果你住在校园里的宿舍,并且需要支付住宿费。
And then, number three, you might have to pay for a meal plan if you are going to eat on campus.
第三,如果你要在校园吃饭,你可能需要支付膳食计划费用。
So all three together ends up costing quite a bit.
所以这三者加在一起最终花费相当多。
But you can save some money by living off campus and buying your own groceries.
但是你可以通过住在校外并自己购买食品杂货来节省一些钱。
Then you only need to pay tuition.
那你只要交学费就可以了。
You might be wondering, how do you pay for university education when you're really young and you don't have any money?
你可能会想,当你还很年轻而且没有钱的时候,你如何支付大学教育费用呢?
Well, there's four ways that you can pay for this.
嗯,有四种方式可以支付。
Number one, maybe you have some savings.
第一,也许你有一些积蓄。
In English when we talk about savings, we mean money in the bank.
在英语中,当我们谈论储蓄时,我们指的是银行里的钱。
Maybe you've worked part time and you've put money in the bank every week and you have some savings.
也许您曾做过兼职,每周都将钱存入银行,并有一些积蓄。
You can use that to pay for some of the tuition costs.
您可以用它来支付部分学费。
Maybe you got a grant.
也许您获得了补助金。
In Canada, the government will give grants to students when they go to university.
在加拿大,当学生上大学时,政府会给予助学金。
Not all students get grants, but some students do.
并非所有学生都能获得助学金,但有些学生可以。
A grant is money that you get that you don't have to pay back.
补助金是您获得的无需偿还的钱。
It's the best source of money for going to university that I can think of.
这是我能想到的上大学的最好的资金来源。
Or maybe you did really well in high school and you got a scholarship.
或者也许你在高中时表现非常好并获得了奖学金。
A scholarship is when a university or another organization gives you money because you're really smart, or maybe you were really involved and did a lot of volunteering.
奖学金是指大学或其他组织因为你非常聪明或者积极参与志愿活动而向你提供资金。
Again, this is money you don't have to pay back.
再说一遍,这是你不必偿还的钱。
And then lastly, you might need to get a student loan.
最后,您可能需要申请学生贷款。
In Canada, you can get a student loan from the government.
在加拿大,您可以从政府获得学生贷款。
You can get a student loan from the bank.
您可以从银行获得学生贷款。
These are nice in that you don't have to pay interest while you're a student.
这些都很好,因为当你还是学生时你不必支付利息。
But once you're done, once you've graduated, you do have to pay the money back.
但是一旦你完成了学业,一旦你毕业了,你就必须偿还这笔钱。
So four ways to pay either you have savings or you get some grants, or you get a scholarship or two, or you simply get some student loans or a combination of all four.
因此,支付的方式有四种:要么你有储蓄,要么你获得一些补助金,要么你获得一两项奖学金,要么你只是获得一些学生贷款,或者这四种方式的组合。
That's probably the most common.
这可能是最常见的。
Well, hey, thank you so much for watching this English lesson about buying a car or buying a house or getting yourself a university education and figuring out how to pay for all of those things.
好吧,嘿,非常感谢您观看这节关于购买汽车、购买房屋或接受大学教育并弄清楚如何支付所有这些费用的英语课。
I hope you were able to learn some new English words and phrases that you can use in your next English conversation.
我希望你能学到一些新的英语单词和短语,以便在下一次英语对话中使用。
If this is your first time here, don't forget to click that red subscribe button.
如果这是您第一次来这里,请不要忘记单击红色的订阅按钮。
Give me a thumbs up.
给我点个赞吧。
If you enjoyed this video, leave a comment below and let me know what part you like the most.
如果您喜欢这个视频,请在下面发表评论并告诉我您最喜欢哪个部分。
And if you have some more time, don't forget there's always more English lessons to watch.
如果您还有时间,请不要忘记还有更多英语课程可供观看。